Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chris McCandless


I recently read the book Into the Wild, about a young man named Chris McCandless. He ventured into Alaska with his back pack and his wits and survived off the land. He sadly passed away after eating wild potato roots that had developed a mold that he did not detect.

He never contacted his family through that time, and chose a life of solitude.
This story gave me pause.

Relationships and dynamics surely do tell the story of our lives. What we choose to do and not do with our own families. How much we own up to personal strenghts, faults, triumphs and failures.

Whatever he was seeking to find out there in Alaska, he must have felt was bigger than him.
A sense of peace, calm or just plain solitude from the American culture rat race that all of us seem to run the wheel of in some form... it must have been just that important to him.

In the one of that last things that he wrote, he said that having someone to share these experiences with was what it was really all about.
How true....



1 comment:

duchessofginger said...

I really liked this book too. Felt the same way after reading it.

And I just have to say that I LOVE that you have a blog, it is so great to hear your thoughts/perspectives on everything.