Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Being Told


So now that we are full fledged into the two's... I am now being bossed around by my little Backseat Napoleon. I will explain...
Whenever we drive in the car, it is a constant series of   "I want"s. I want to listen to Juno song, then "uver Juno song...(Juno soundtrack songs #1,13,18),Ian 'Cullough', Tori Avis(Tori Amos) Mr. Zebra being the favorite..... I want milk... I want snack. You get it, the list goes on....
I am grateful that his musical taste has not damned me to Disney hell, however, I have realized that I am so not cool when I would rather listen to NPR for 5 minutes than The Kinks for the 500th time.
I realize  now how exasperated my mother was with me. I can't blame Jiles for his tenacity and insistence... he is of course half and half of two very opinionated, "question all who think they have a right to say" parents.
We have always encouraged him to express himself and to show us what he needed. I'm not sorry that he can assert himself.
I just don't want him to become a brat.
We do attempt to talk him down from his  Me-Me ledge when its getting over the top.
I will say people really do enjoy him, and he is super friendly and charismatic....
I don't want to break his spirit, I just think this is his age.
There is forever an unmarried  childless single girl who still occupies part of my brain. She's nudging me between sips of her martini that I better be careful or else... I don't always rely on her advice. Any body with some sound advice?
Any mamas out there with some advice?

2 comments:

duchessofginger said...

Well being as I am your childless but married friend, sipping a margarita. I do tend to agree with your unmarried childless single self. I think that letting him express himself is a wonderful thing, but there has to be a line of where that ends and the expressing of himself and his wants turns into him bossing you around and not lettting you listen/do the things that you would like, ie listenting to NPR. But as long as you can keep that balance I don't think that he is going to turn into a brat.

I KNOW that other grrl in there would NEVER allow that.

Isn't that why they call it the terrible twos?

Jennifer said...

You couldn't have picked a more perfect picture for this post. He looks absolutely indignant.